- Published: 04 December 2017 04 December 2017
DNV GL has launched WindGEMINI, its first online digital twin online tool. The WindGEMINI framework is based on digital twin technology, equipping users with digital copies of their wind turbines which are continuously updated in real-time, making use of the stream of information received from turbines and wind farm sensors, to reflect the real conditions experienced by the turbines on site.
Operational benefits and applications of WindGEMINI include:
- A turbine life estimator uses aeroelastic modelling to estimate the effect of site conditions on the fatigue accumulation of the main structural components.
- Predictive analysis of the turbine drivetrain identifies patterns indicative of incipient failure modes and raises alerts with varying confidence levels.
- A power curve performance watchdog identifies shifts in the turbine power curves and sub-optimal control modes, so that they can be corrected to regain any potential energy losses.
- Structural integrity monitoring uses high-frequency data to identify issues, such as rotor imbalance and foundation degradation, which can have adverse effects on energy capture and turbine life.