- Published: 20 March 2017 20 March 2017
Xcel Energy announced plans to add 1,550MW of new wind generation in the Upper Midwest. Xcel Energy is proposing a combination of owned projects and power purchase agreements representing more than US$ 2.5 billion in capital investments.
The project details are:
- Freeborn Wind Energy, a 200W project located in Freeborn County, Minnesota, and Worth and Mitchell Counties, Iowa developed by Invenergy
- Foxtail Wind, a 150MW project located in Dickey County, North Dakota, developed by NextEra Energy Resources
- Blazing Star 1, a 200MW project located in Lincoln County, Minnesota, developed by Geronimo Energy
- Blazing Star 2, a 200MW project located in Lincoln County, Minnesota, developed by Geronimo Energy
- Crowned Ridge Wind Project, a 300MW build-own-transfer project and a 300 MW purchased power agreement. The project will be located in Codington,Deuel and Grant Counties, South Dakota, developed by a subsidiary of NextEra Energy
- Lake Benton Wind Project, a 100MW build-own-transfer project in Pipestone County, Minnesota, developed by a subsidiary of NextEra Energy
- Clean Energy 1, a 100MW power purchase agreement project in Morton and Mercer Counties, North Dakota, developed by ALLETE Clean Energy
All projects are subject to state and local regulatory approval. If accepted, projects will be in service by 2020.