- Published: 08 September 2010 08 September 2010
The ‘European Wind Initiative’ (EWI) is a € 6 billion 10 year research and development roadmap for the wind energy sector. The EWI is the result of several years of joint effort by the European wind energy sector, the European Commission and EU Member States working towards four common goals to:
- maintain Europe’s technology leadership in both onshore and offshore wind power;
- make onshore wind power the most competitive energy source by 2020, with offshore wind power following by 2030;
- enable wind energy to supply 20% of Europe’s electricity in 2020, 33% in 2030, and 50% in 2050;
- create 250,000 new skilled jobs in the EU in the wind energy sector by 2020.