- Published: 18 February 2019 18 February 2019
The Parliament of the Balearic Islands has approved the Law of Climate Change and Energy Transition of the Balearic Islands. It is a law leading the fight against climate change and sets the path to an effective transition to clean energy.
It is a pioneering Law in Spain and also in Europe, which places the Balearic Islands in the vanguard with measures to make the Islands free of fossil fuels and using 100% renewable energy in 2050. By 2030, the forecasts are to have 35% renewable energy, 23% reduction in energy consumption and a 40% reduction of polluting emissions. The main measures of the Law are:
- A commitment to renewable energy
- Progressive closure of polluting power plants
- A commitment to sustainable mobility
- A commitment to energy efficiency