- Published: 08 October 2018 08 October 2018
Ørsted has entered into an agreement with the D.E. Shaw Group to acquire a 100% equity interest in Rhode Island-based Deepwater Wind at a purchase price of US$ 510 million. The two companies’ US offshore wind assets and organisations will be merged.
Deepwater Wind has built a geographically diverse portfolio of projects along the US East Coast. Deepwater Wind’s portfolio has a total potential capacity of approx. 3.3GW comprising:
- Block Island (30MW), the only operational offshore wind farm in the US
- Three offshore wind development projects in Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland and New York totaling 810MW of capacity with long-term revenue contracts in place or pending finalisation.
- Approximately 2.5GW of offshore wind development potential across three well-sited BOEM lease areas in Massachusetts and Delaware. Of these 2.5GW, 1.2GW is developed through an equal joint venture with PSEG, a leading New Jersey utility.
Ørsted’s current US offshore wind portfolio has a total capacity of approx. 5.5GW comprising:
- Development rights for up to 2GW at the Bay State Wind site off the coast of Massachusetts owned in a joint venture with Eversource.
- Development rights for up to 3.5GW at the Ocean Wind site off the coast of New Jersey.
- In Virginia, Ørsted will be constructing two 6MW wind turbine positions for phase one of Dominion Energy’s Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind Project. Ørsted has exclusive rights with Dominion Energy to discuss the potential development of up to 2GW of offshore wind capacity.