- Published: 30 June 2023 30 June 2023
The Offshore Wind Innovation Hub has announced the first round of start-up companies selected to receive support to develop innovative ideas designed to unleash the potential of offshore wind.
The six winners–chosen from a panel of eleven finalists participating in a live “shark tank” style pitch competition last month–will begin a six-month mentoring and business development program designed to prepare them to partner with major offshore wind developers, suppliers, and the larger offshore wind value chain. The companies selected to participate in the NYC-based Year 1 Cohort include:
- Benchmark Labs Inc. – Turbine-specific weather forecasts to improve operational margins.
- Flucto – Using sensor, GPS, and camera data for offshore wind farm installations and increased precision.
- Heerema Engineering Solutions – Software tool to simulate the complete offshore construction process in an event simulator.
- OSC AS – Industrial metaverse simulation for derisking and cost-cutting offshore wind farm planning.
- RCAM Technologies – Low-cost, 3D printed, environmentally friendly concrete anchors for floating offshore wind.
- VINCI VR – Virtual reality for workforce safety and training.
Launched in January 2023 to help develop promising start-ups that drive new innovation in the offshore wind industry, the Offshore Wind Innovation Hub is led by Equinor and bp in collaboration with Urban Future Lab at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, and National Offshore Wind R&D Consortium. Supported by the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), the New York City-based Innovation Hub seeks to advance an inclusive supply chain and accelerate New York’s local green economy.