- Published: 22 April 2021 22 April 2021
Amazon has announced nine new utility-scale wind and solar energy projects in the USA, Canada, Spain, Sweden, and the UK. The company now has 206 renewable energy projects globally, including 71 utility-scale wind and solar projects and 135 solar rooftops on facilities and stores worldwide, which will generate 8.5GW of electricity production capacity globally.
The nine new wind and solar projects announced include:
- Its first solar project paired with energy storage: Based in California’s Imperial Valley, Amazon’s first solar project paired with energy storage. The project generates 100MW of solar energy and includes 70MW of energy storage.
- Its first renewable project in Canada: Amazon is announcing its first renewable energy investment in Canada—an 80MW solar project in the County of Newell in Alberta.
- A 350MW energy project in the UK: Amazon’s newest project in the UK is a 350MW wind farm off the coast of Scotland
- New projects in the U.S.: Amazon’s first renewable energy project in Oklahoma is a 118MW wind project located in Murray County. Amazon is also building new solar projects in Ohio’s Allen, Auglaize, and Licking counties. Together, these Ohio projects will account for more than 400MW of new energy procurement in the state.
- Additional investments in Spain and Sweden: In Spain, Amazon’s newest solar projects are located in Extremadura and Andalucia, and together add more than 170MW to the grid. Amazon’s newest project in Sweden is a 258MW onshore wind project located in Northern Sweden.