- Published: 03 August 2023 03 August 2023
The US Department of Energy (DOE) has launched its “Cleanup to Clean Energy” initiative, an initiative to repurpose parts of DOE-owned lands into the sites of clean-energy generation.
Working with a diverse range of stakeholders, including industry, Federal entities, tribes, state, and local officials, DOE will explore opportunities to lease Federal land for the build out of utility-scale clean energy projects. DOE’s Office of Environmental Management, Office of Nuclear Energy, and National Nuclear Security Administration have identified about 70,000 acres for potential development at five sites:
- Hanford Site, Richland, Washington
- Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Nevada National Security Site, Nye County, Nevada
- Savannah River Site, Aiken, South Carolina
- Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, Carlsbad, New Mexico