Published: 02 August 2019 02 August 2019
US wind farm development activity rose to a new high point in the second quarter of 2019, according to new data released by the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA). The record 41,801MW of US wind capacity currently under construction or in advanced stages of development represents a 10% increase over the level of activity this time last year. The wind project pipeline grew 7%in the second quarter with 7,290MW in new construction and advanced development activity announced.
Over 200 wind projects are underway across 33 states, and 15 of those states have over 1,000MW of wind capacity that will come online in the near term. Texas currently hosts the most activity (9,015MW), followed by Wyoming (4,831MW), New Mexico (2,774MW), Iowa (2,623MW), and South Dakota (2,183MW).
Offshore wind also saw significant activity in the second quarter with new offshore wind targets legislated in Maryland (1,200MW), Connecticut (2,000MW), and New York (9,000MW). New Jersey granted its first offshore renewable energy certificate (OREC) award to Ørsted’s 1,100MW Ocean Wind project.
Wind power customers announced new long-term Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) contracts, totalling 1,962MW in the second quarter. Non-utility corporate customers signed up for 52%of second quarter PPA capacity. Strong demand from utilities accounted for the remaining 48%(949MW) of second quarter PPAs.
The U.S. grid now includes an additional 736MW of wind power as developers commissioned four new wind farms in the second quarter. This brings total U.S. wind capacity to 97,960MW, with more than 57,000 wind turbines operating in 41 states and two U.S. territories.